Monday, October 26, 2015

Claiming Compensation for St. Louis Car Wreck Injury

If you suffer an injury in a minor car accident, you may wonder whether you are entitled to financial compensation for your pain and suffering.

You may not be sure whether it is worth your time to make a car accident claim. Here are some important things to know about making a claim for pain and suffering from minor car accidents.

Making a Claim for Pain and Suffering

Making a claim depends on whether or not your state has no-fault insurance laws. If you have no-fault car insurance, your insurance company is liable to pay you for all or some of your medical bills and lost earnings, irrespective of who was responsible for the accident. At present, more than 12 states have no-fault insurance laws. In those states, there are certain restrictions on making a claim for personal injury outside of your no-fault insurance. Some no-fault states allow you to make a claim against the party at fault, only when your medical expenses exceed a certain amount, while some other states allow making a claim only if the injury is serious. If, however, the accident occurred in a at-fault state, you are legally permitted to make a claim against the party at fault, irrespective of the severity of your injury.

Common Injuries from Minor Car Accidents

Minor car crashes usually do not cause severe injuries, but minor injuries are almost unavoidable. Common injuries include neck pain, shoulder pain, headache, muscle pain, and shoulder pain. In most cases, an accident victim experiences the symptoms soon after the accident. However, in some cases, you may suffer hidden injuries and the symptoms may arise a few days after the accident.

Seeking Medical Attention after a Minor Car Accident

If you suffer an injury from a car accident - no matter how minor it is – you should seek medical advice. This not only helps you determine how serious your injury is, but also helps prove to the insurance company that your injuries were a direct result of the accident.

Determining the Value of Pain and Suffering

If you get involved in a minor car accident and suffer a minor injury that does not require hospitalization or days off from work, you may not be allowed to make a claim against the negligent party in a no-fault state. However, in an at-fault state, you have the right to make a claim for even your minor injury. But you should not expect the compensation amount to exceed $2,000. Contact an experienced St. Louis car crash attorney to find out how much compensation you can claim. The compensation amount you can claim for minor injuries may vary from one state to another. Call The Hoffmann Law Firm, L.L.C. at (314) 361-4242. We can give you advice on how to make a claim and how to protect your legal rights.